Buy Now, Buy New
There has rarely been a better time to buy a home in Florida. Interest rates are at record lows and construction costs are reasonable (for now). The monthly payment for a mortgage at today’s low rates can actually be lower than the cost of renting an equivalent or lesser property. As the economy improves and home construction volume increases, construction costs will inevitably rise and the Fed is constantly talking about raising interest rates in the near future. There is an ongoing population shift from northern to southern states with Florida recently surpassing New York as the 3rd most populous state. Prices of homes in Florida are starting to increase as the economics of supply and demand for material and labor drive those costs higher. Chances are, the longer you wait, the more you will pay.
Buying a new home affords you the following advantages:
- APPRECIATION: New homes have a longer life expectancy and will appreciate more than an older resale home.
- WARRANTIES: Our homes come with extensive warranties:
- One year whole home warranty
- 2 year / 10 year Bonded Builders’ warranty
- Roof, window, HVAC, appliance and well and water system warranty.
- SAFETY: Our homes come with impact windows and doors throughout, making them safer, quieter, stronger and more attractive (with no need for shutters and the unattractive screws and bolts that hold them in place.)
- ENERGY EFFICIENCY: Our homes are built to match or exceed current energy codes, resulting in lower energy costs.
- INSURANCE: We build our homes with the following features to keep your insurance costs as low as possible:
- All block construction
- Impact windows and doors throughout.
- Secondary, peel and stick water barrier on all our roofs.
- We use hip roofs rather than gable roofs where architecturally appropriate.
- We never build in a flood zone.
- PEACE OF MIND: When buying a used home, you never really know what you’re getting until it’s too late. A new home comes with warranties that give you peace of mind in your new purchase for years to come.
When you buy used you have to consider several factors:
- Is your home up to the new Florida Building Codes that help protect you from damage from tropical storms?
- Do you want to bother installing shutters or plywood with every threatening weather event.
- Do you want to live with unattractive bolts or rails surrounding all your windows and doors.
- Is your home energy efficient or will you be saddled with high utility bills? You could easily pay an extra $100.00 per month in an older home.
- What will it cost to insure your used home? You could spend an extra $1,000.00 or more per year for insurance on an older home.
- How much longer will your roof last? The expected lifetime of a 20 year rated shingle in Florida is 12 to 15 years. A new roof will cost between $5,000.00 and $9,000.00.
- How much longer will your air conditioner last? A new HVAC system will cost $5,000.00 or more.
- Replacing appliances can cost thousands.
- Do you want to live with someone else’s old, worn and dirty carpet, tile and paint?